Vancouver: The World’s Mining Hub
Everybody knows that mining is a major economic force in Canada. However, the magnitude of Vancouver’s dominance on the world stage is less known. In fact, the city is the home to over 800 mining and junior prospecting companies, while the next best foreign city—Perth, Australia—has not even one third that many.
Karleigh Middlemiss, a human-resources specialist with IDM Mining, explains why Vancouver is head and shoulders above any other city in the world for mining. She also offers tips for those interested in entering the field.
- Mining facts by the Mining Association of Canada.
- Read “Vancouver Is The World’s Mining Capital,” by Michael Allan McCrae.
- Mining and Communities in Northern Canada: History, Politics, and Memory, a book by Arn Keeling.
- “The world needs mining, we need mining companies to be responsible” -Gwendolyn Wellman.
- Check out the courses offered by the Canadian Securities Institute.
- International Women in Mining.