Navigate the Maze to Latin America’s Resources
Latin America is home to less than 10 percent of humanity, but it has 20 percent of the planet’s oil reserves, over half of its lithium deposits, its largest copper mines, and 20 percent of its gold production.
Unfortunately, notes James McKeigue, managing editor of LatAm Investor, several political and cultural barriers render these resources inaccessible. While democracy has brought better deals in terms of environmental impact and community development, institutional inertia and political instability have stalled mining projects and impeded economic growth.
A rise in the price of commodities and forward-thinking governments have recently attracted tens of billions of dollars in foreign investment, suggesting that more good news is coming in the next decade.
- Follow James work on LatAm Investor.
- Read “International Investors Vie for Latin American Gold and Silver” on LatAm Investor.
If You Liked This Episode
- “Andrés González: The Jig Is Up for Pay to Play in Latin America” Gold Newsletter Podcast.
- “Is Chile Open for Business?” Gold Newsletter Podcast.
- “Colombia: The Pick of the Bunch” Gold Newsletter Podcast.
- “The Case for Belize” Gold Newsletter Podcast.
- “Bitcoin is the New Dollar in Argentina” Gold Newsletter Podcast.
New Orleans Investment Conference
- Audio and video recordings now available for order!